IoT 80/20™

One Complete, In-House Solution

Grid Connect's IoT 80/20™ platform helps small- to mid-sized device manufacturers and OEMs quickly and affordably enable their products for the Internet of Things (IoT). The 80% is the common functionality needed by all customers, a reusable solution provided by Grid Connect. The remaining 20% is customized for each individual product/OEM. This greatly reduces initial investment and speeds up time to market. IoT 80/20 is based on the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform, which has low monthly fees and can easily scale up as product sales improve. In addition, IoT 80/20 includes common firmware for Wi-Fi and a core app for Android and Apple iOS.

The 80%

  • Device Provisioning
  • Commissioning
  • User Cloud App Interface
  • Rules Engine and IFTT
  • Notifications (SMS, Email)
  • Basic Data Graphing
  • Data Storage and Archiving
  • Basic Administrative UI
  • Firmware Updates
  • Security


The 20%

  • Branding of User Interface/Management Interface
  • Android/iOS App Customizations
  • Device/Application Specific Firmware
  • Device Specific Rules
  • Custom Data Graphing
  • Branding of User Interface/Management Interface






80% Completed, 20% Customized


80% Complete, 20% Customized


Beyond the 20%

  • Hardware Design
  • Housing Design
  • Integrations with other Cloud APIs and Ecosystems
  • Additional Notification Types
  • Analytics (Big Data)

Saved Costs

  • Firmware Development
  • Firmware Toolchain Learning Curve
  • Firmware SDK Learning Curve
  • Certifications (FCC, UL, CE, etc.)
  • Development Tools
  • Cloud Platform Learning Curve
  • Cloud Backend Development
  • Cloud App Development
  • Phone App Learning Curve
  • Phone App Development